Venue Type :
Boyd solo (1)
The Whitlow’s tradition began on the corner of 11th and E Street, NW, when David Whitlow opened his bar and grill to the public in 1946. Over the next 25 years, Whitlow’s became a landmark in downtown Washington. Greg Cahill purchased the restaurant in 1971, but changed little of the tavern that had become so much a part of the city. In 1989, Whitlow’s closed its doors to enable a mass redevelopment of that site. It was the first time in 18 years, excluding Christmas and the filming of a scene in Broadcast News, that the grill was closed. Unfortunately, the redevelopment never materialized. Greg and Susie Cahill re-opened Whitlow’s on Wilson in November 1995.