Richmond's Landmark Theater
(Changed after 2012)
Venue Type :
A lavish replica of a Moslem Temple, Richmond's Landmark Theater (formerly known as the Mosque) seats 3,667 people for Broadway shows, symphonies, operas and ballets. Its ballroom totals 18,000 square feet, and may be rented and subdivided.
Richmond's most bizarre building, Richmond's Landmark Theater. The construction started in February, 1926, and took two years to finish. It was formally opened on October 28, 1927 by ACCA Temple of the Mystic Shrine and became the property of the city in 1940. The building has an exotic splendor. Into the dome alone went 75,000 square feet of gold leaf, and another 35,000 square feet of aluminum leaf was used. The Auditorium decorations include Saracenic decorations and five paintings bordering the proscenium arch of the stage. Ornamental tile used in the interior was imported from Spain, Italy and Tunis, along with lush carpets, silken curtains and paintings which suggest the rich tents and equipment of a Saracenic nobleman.
Richmond bought the building May 16, 1940. Besides the auditorium which seats nearly 5,000, the city acquired 24,300 square feet of office space, an 18,000 square foot ballroom and a 20 by 70 foot swimming pool which has been used for various types of training programs.