Venue Type :
Dave Solo (3)
Dave & Tim (1)
In 1901 the newly-chartered Jefferson National Bank constructed its first building at this site on land recently purchased by C.J. Rixey, one of the bank's founding directors. Constructed of grey, rusticated brick, the Jefferson National Bank was a two-story, Greek Revival structure with five ionic columns of matching brick and terra cotta trim. Two large Romanesque arches provided revolving door access to the lobby and banking rooms. W.T. Vandegrift of Charlottesville was the architect. In 1912, the bank decided to move its headquarters down the street. Kendler-Zimmerman Co. (later Jefferson-Lafayette Theaters, Inc.) purchased the building at auction, extensively remodeled the interior, and built the enormous theater stretching all the way back to Water Street.
The Jefferson changed its name to Cinema Theater in 1969 and to The Movie Palace in the 1980s. It reverted to its original name in 1993. Throughout this time, the theater primarily showed movies (second-runs only since the 80s) and had live shows only occasionally.
In the Spring of 1998, DMB returned to the Jefferson Theater for a photo shoot for the sleeve of Before These Crowded Streets.
The theater closed in 2006, was renovated, and reopened in 2009 as a full-time concert venue.